Wednesday, June 3, 2020

How to Start Making Games - Advice from Game Designers - Spring 2020

I already shared three of these four short videos in other posts, but I wanted to collect them in one. The past two months I ran a virtual game design club for middle school students and I interviewed two of my friends. (All posts in this series can be found here.)

Without any prep, they echoed the basic tips I had already shared with the group. (I'll soon gather those tips in a single post as well.)

The first interview is with Stephen Glenn. Several of his board and card games have been published worldwide. He addresses the following in the two-part interview.

  • Why he still makes games
  • How he gets ideas
  • Playtesting
  • Advice for young designers



The second interview is with Dominic Crapuchettes, of North Star Games. Dominic is probably the most successful game designer I can claim as a friend. I admire his dedication and approach to game design.

Similar to Stephen's interview, Dominic talked about:
  • Why he makes games
  • Ways he gets ideas
  • The importance of dedication
  • Testing
  • Advice for young designers



No comments:

Post a Comment