Monday, March 27, 2023

Google Slides Template for Making Card Games

 


Here's a template I use when I create prototypes for my card games. It has 9 cards on each page, outlined in gray dotted lines. 

Click here to make a copy in your Google Drive.

I've used this method for years, from early stage prototypes to later versions. I've even sold some print-and-play games that I laid out completely in Google Slides. (Here's an example of a free version of one game I made completely in Google Slides.)

Here are some tips, all of which are just pointing out features of Google Slides that make it useful for layouts in general:

  • Use Word Art for large letters or numbers, as shown on my example image. 
  • If you use ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy and paste a card or contents of a card, you can use the arrow keys to move it around. Each tap of an arrow key moves a selected object 1/12". Moving on a grid like that makes it easy to copy, paste and move objects over or down to the next card quickly, still keeping everything lined up.
  • Use the shapes in Google Slides' shape menu as building blocks for more complex shapes. For quick prototypes, you'll be surprised how easy it is to make some functional images and icons to help with early playtesting.
  • When you're done laying out the cards, you can just print them and cut them out. If you need to make them available to others, you can download the whole slideshow as a PDF. I've found some fonts will change size slightly and mess up the layout when you convert, so take a look at the file before sending it off to anyone. 
Contact me if you have questions about using this template. I'll update this post with more information as I get questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment