I had a lot of chances to express myself creatively this past year and it has been exciting. Without a doubt it has been the best time of my 20 years as a teacher.
Through reflecting on this and through blog posts, the theme that developed is Teaching Like an Artist. The general idea is
Artists get a vision for something that doesn't exist,
they work to make it real
and they share it with others.
As teachers we can inspire more students if we follow that same pattern.
Here's a list of those articles, beginning with a couple that I didn't even know were in the same series when I wrote it:
- My Attempt to Encourage Creativity - The risk I took that eventually became an exciting project
- Fear, Love and Coming Alive - How I learned so many of us hold back
- 6 Ways to Teach Like an Artist - The original post after a summer of thinking (and revised after getting some input)
- 5 Benefits of Teaching Like an Artist - What I learned after consciously putting these things into practice and paying attention
- 6 Reasons Your Students Need to See Your Mediocre Art - Why you should share your talents even when you're not a pro
- Raising Questions - Artists inspire wonder.
- Know Your Audience - How teachers as artists leads to a striking metaphor
- The Smart Jams Music Video Project - The creative project that developed over the course of the year