Monday, February 11, 2013

The Lifelong Learner Challenge

I've been inspired by Seth Godin's book, Poke the Box.  I am also enjoying much of what I'm finding in The Icarus Deception.  (I won a copy from Jeremy Statton's blog, Living Better Stories.)

In both books Godin repeatedly challenges the reader to get started, to make things and to keep getting better at making them.  I've been encouraged by the results as I try to put it into practice.  I share the ideas with teachers in the district where I work and I try to incorporate it into the lessons and presentations when I get a chance to teach or speak in the classroom.

I was thinking today of a Lifelong Learner Challenge based on some of the principles of the books.  I'd like to do this as a personal goal and to encourage (or require!) my students to do it is well.

The Lifelong Learner Challenge

Each week I will make at least one thing that is:
  • New - It must be new to me and to the world--original.
  • Good - It must be measured against a realistic, high standard.  (For students, this includes appropriate content standards.)
  • Personal - Those who know me can see me--my style, unique preferences or personal experiences--in the work in some way.
  • Helpful - It must be presented or published in some way so others can find it and benefit from it.

This challenge is currently a draft.  Once I am happy with it and practicing it I will put it on my Passion and Vision page.

If you do something similar or have suggestions I would love to hear them.

My list is inspired from Seth Godin's very challenging list in The Icarus Deception:


Six Daily Habits for Artists

  • Sit alone; sit quietly.
  • Learn something new without any apparent practical benefit.
  • Ask individuals for bold feedback; ignore what you hear from the crowd.
  • Spend time encouraging other artists.
  • Teach, with the intent of making change.
  • Ship something that you created.

No comments:

Post a Comment