Saturday, May 30, 2020

Game Design Tip and Activities - Game Design Club 2020

This week I posted my final game design tip to the club and I posted a couple game design activities. I also recently finished up the second part of my interview with game designer, Stephen Glenn.

The Video

In this video about Tip #3 I talk about the importance of making a prototype and playing the game right away. It also talks a little about the vital practice of playtesting.

The tip as shown in the video lends itself toward board and card games, though I have read the same advice given to designers of digital games. This quick move to a rough prototype was something I started doing years ago. Recently I've heard it offered as good advice from many respected sources.


Here's the second part of the interview with Stephen, which supports much of what I said about playtesting in Tip #3.

The Game Design Activities

I wanted to post a digital and non-digital game design activity, so students could explore the type of game they prefer. For the digital one, I simply referred to this video I found on YouTube about making a Space Invaders style game using Scratch. I thought it was very well done.

For the non-digital game, I had asked students to learn a simple dice game, then consider how they would change it to create their own game. The directions can be found in this document.




No comments:

Post a Comment