Sunday, April 2, 2023

Free Number Line Game from TpT - Grab a Banana

For the first week of April my elementary math number line game is free. You can find it here. It's a card game that requires some printing and cutting to make the components. If you have any feedback on the game, please let me know!

I included this information about the value of such games at the end of the rule document:

I knew from teaching math that number lines were important for visualization. I created a number line game years ago, but when I tested it with some first graders, I soon found my initial ideas had some issues. I put the game on the shelf. Then recently I heard Jo Boaler make a statement like this one, 

Researchers even found that after four 15-minute sessions of playing a game with a number line, differences in knowledge between students from low-income backgrounds and those from middle-income backgrounds were eliminated (Siegler & Ramani, 2008). (Quoted from here)

I don’t know that Jo Boaler would endorse this game, but after hearing her, I knew I had to return to it! I fixed the gameplay problems and tested it with groups of students from ages 7 to 11. They were immediately hooked! I have been so impressed with how even the youngest students had no problems playing, even when some versions had a number line with negative numbers!


No comments:

Post a Comment