Thursday, July 12, 2018

Scanning Text to a Google Doc for Editing

Here's a neat trick I didn't realize would be so simple! Note that this only works on Android phones right now and I use a computer or Chromebook for the second part.

While doing a virtual book study of What School Could Be, I needed to copy passages of text from the printed book. I accomplished this easily by using the Scan option in the Google Drive app.

It's all shown in the two-minute video below, but here are the main steps.

  1. Open the Google Drive app on an Android phone.
  2. Tap the + and pick Scan.
  3. Take a picture of the printed text.
  4. Retake it or crop it as necessary.
  5. Click the + to add more pages.
  6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 until you've scanned everything you need.
  7. Tap the check mark. That will upload the scans to your Drive as a PDF.
  8. Then on a computer, locate that PDF in your Drive.
  9. Right click on it and select Open With Google Docs.
  10. Make minor edits to the text if necessary.
I've found it works very well. I made this informal video for the teachers in our book study. Itshows the screens as I go through the above steps.



1 comment:

  1. It also works with an iPhone if you scan the text as a PDF and then import the PDF to Drive, Then open the PDF with Docs

    ReplyDelete